Monday, October 27, 2008

Strides in achievements

January 9th, 2007 we got Connor's diagnosis. We cried off and on for a few days, read everything we could to get an idea of what we would be up against. We researched the best proven treatments. Most tell you the basics; speech therapy, occupational therapy, gf/cf diet, floortime, and ABA. In everything we read it said get ABA and get it now, 20 hrs a week or more if you can get it.

But we couldn't get it. Medical insurance would not pay and every charities' waiting list was full and seemed quite comfortable telling me I had to wait another year. All the time I keep hearing about this window. A small sliver of time in which I have to pull my child out to join the real world and not remain trapped in his own. After finding one program that would pay for the ABA, we were shot down because he was not in danger of becoming a ward of the state and was not in danger of becoming hospitalized due to self injury.

We had decided to try one more time after we were turned down. The next person to take our application was good. Very good. Now we have ABA and the new therapist has already started working with Connor. He loves her and tells her so.

We are only 1yr 9 months since we got his diagnosis and he has made more progress than I could have ever dreamed in such a short span of time.

The main things; He talks! He says Mommy ( and everyone elses names). He knows kisses are good for ouchies and sadness. He knows happy, sad, and scared. He knows how to argue "No, you broke it!". He is beginning to tell the difference between girls and boys. He is now using the potty, even though it is only to urinate and only if he is semi clad. He knows his alphabet and can put the letters in order if they get mixed up. He knows his shapes. He can count to 60. He knows his colors and loves to show off how smart he is.

This past Friday he let my daughter's friend know that she is brown. I thought it was great, he is so pure of heart and loves to show off for the ladies. There was no doubt that there was no racism in it, he has no idea about race. I am steadily waiting to lose an eye when he discovers mine are brown and tries to point out the fact. I am also waiting for him to tell me I am pink or peach with brown spots.

6 comments:

The Kimbrough Family said...

That is one of the cutest things I have ever read! I love it!! In 5th grade the teacher had us fill out of registration forms. I had to ask what race meant and he replied, " The color of your skin." I wrote brown on the race slot -- :0) he was not amused!

Anonymous said...

A really wonderful milestone and many more to come.

Amy has a thing about wanting a friend with brown skin! She also has no idea about race and our family never discuss it anyway. Everyone being equal is what I have always taught her. Children have such a lovely way with the world.

CJ xx

Jade said...

Its so great to hear of your little guys progress. I like the person that works with Connor provide ABA therapy for children diagnosed to be on the spectrum.

It is a wonderful tool for these children and their parents. I have seen remarkable progress with my clients and amazing turn arounds for their family atmosphere, especially since the family themselves can apply ABA when the therapist is not there to run it.

I am so happy to hear of Connors progress and the relief that it has brought to you and your family :-)

I am also glad to see you posting again. I often check in just to see how you're doing. You're thought of even when you aren't aware of it ;-)

Suzy said...

What a wonderful cause for celebration!

You and your family should be so proud of yourselves for the help you have strived for with Connor.

No doubt he has learned the important issues of life from his parents and his sisters.

All my love to you and your family and a great big kiss to my favorite boy, Connor.

Love you and think of you often.

Suzy

She's like the wind said...

What an achievement, you should be very proud. xx

Casdok said...

Pure of heart - you are so right there.
Much progress - you must be so proud. :)